02 July, 2003

I had an experience today, nothing too special really, but with it came the realization that it was beautiful, but also tragically fleeting. I was sitting in a cafe with a friend and several new friends. One of them, a Brit named Lindsey, had brought a kid in from the street for some food. I had just talked to his gilrlfriend for an hour about her last twelve years of travel. Another girl, a girl from Austria named Danielle, sang a beautiful song she knew.

I had been trying to get up and leave to do some work and then I realized. I saw how spectacular this instant was. Who were these people - they were strangeers. A kid from the street. Where were we? Nowhere. But we all were gathered, us from everywhere and nowhere in common - and we could get on like we were old comrades. We laughed as though it were the good old days being remembered.

I sat back a little easier and thought, "What work is so important now? Isn't this why I travel, to be in just such an atmosphere?" These days and these times, these moments won't last forever. I was participating in mystery. Those surrounding me were surprising and strange and vivid and talented, and we all were their together enjoying one another.

The kid got hold of my lighter and had a field day with it, like a magical toy, putting it to his ear to hear the gas wiz out. Lindsey was constantly laughing deeply, heartily (he had worked as a clown in Spain); Tenzig was fixing glasses and discussing his karma - I sat back and took it all in with a grin.

No comments: