03 February, 2007

WELLINGTON

New Zealand hospitality rolls on.  In fact it is indomitable, like a freighttrain.  They say, "Another rum?"  I say, "no, a water will do me fine."  They nod.  A couple minutes later they show up with a water and yet another rum.  Last night I was actually dragged away from the bar for attempting to by a round for me table for a change.
 
I'm still living on Andiamo in the harbor of Wellington, still eating the food in the fridge.  As to the work I am supposed to be doing, well. . . I needed a day to find a watch ($3.50) and do some writing.  The next day was rainy and a friend, Stephen, came over and stole me to the museum for the afternoon.  The next day I worked but then raced a small catamaran called St. Laurence.
I didn't know it but St. Laurence is the fasted boat in all of Wellington, of any size.  Thing goes 25 knots. . . and it's only 28 feet long!  Off the hook.  And guess who I sailed it with?. . . . Ken and Barbie!!  And they 'used' to be a couple (for 8 years--they are both 27).  Today I raced the same boat with the owner and Ken.  Both races, yesterday and today, we won, won big, won by ten to twenty minutes.  We flew.  I've never done anything like it.  We hit 16.9 knots, the fastest I've ever been under sail.
 
My only plans for leaving involve sailing another very fast race boat for here back up to Auckland after the BIG race this coming weekend.  I will find it hard to leave before that.  There is so much to do here and I am being shown such a good time.  There is a world rugby competition going on today and yesterday and everyone gets dressed up like Halloween--it is one of the wildest parties I've ever seen.  I spent hours walking around people watching last night.  Wellington is a riot.
 
All is well.

No comments: