02 December, 2005

“Stealing Back to that Same-ole Used to Be”

"Stealing Back to that Same-ole Used to Be"

Must be brief.

A good trip: moments of great sailing, lots of calms, shining-clear weather, mirror seas, wildlife and pristine air all around.

The Channel Islands were the jewel of the trip. We came into our first harbor at San Miquel at night and we watched schools of fish glowing in orbs of light as they swam beneath the bow. Bio-luminescence was everywhere in the water—all through the Channel Islands. The propeller seemed to have a long green tail trailing behind the boat. Pods of dolphin were blurs of twirling green light. Hard to imagine, less describe.

We motored endlessly. We ate much. Lots of soups. Lots of Parm pasta. I feel fat.

The trip went smoothly. We laughed a lot. Sailed at night under the Milky Way. Dodged freighters on our way to San Diego.

Our only mishaps was in the very entrance to San Diego Harbor—the engine died. Luckily there was a fine northerly blowing as we sailed in. The engine revived itself just in time to dock.

I have feared the governor was going out, but it saw us through in the end. Now it will need a little attention.

It feels good to be in a safe port once again. Living on anchor will be more tenuous here than it was in Sausalito. Hopefully I won't stay long, but there is a deal to do before leaving. My crew for the next leg is not yet for certain. I am still trying to get home for the holidays, which now seems more possible (since I am not yet in Mexico).

For now I am with a friend I met in Antigua, years ago now. She taught me the difference between a ketch and a yawl. I knew nothing. It still feels like yesterday.

Enough until I get more situated. Hubris is here, too. Okay, thanks for the good wishes. All came off well enough.

--------------------------

MONDAY 5TH

Ben and I have been getting organized on "the police dock" a cheap temporary dock in the harbor. I was to leave today, but.........the engine wouldn't start. Yes, as cliche as it sounds.

So today I spent twittling around with it to find that the high-pressure fuel pump isn't working. I found a guy who hopefully will get it going for me on the cheap.

Ben and I both got approved to use the Cruiser Anchorage. It is the only anchorage in town that you can stay for more than 72 hours. It isn't so nice, but it is free and a bit more permanent than the rest.

So Ben left and I am left to my engine.

My finances aren't so good, but I am planning on leaving the boat and coming home for a couple of weeks and getting some work while I'm there. Ben and Tilikum can watch the boat for me while I'm gone.

This way I can see the family and stock the coffers at the same time. Hopefully.

San Diego has the greatest marine hardware stores I've ever seen. Spectacular! And my friend Kelly works at two of them. (That means I get great deals!) She's been great about driving me around and

advising me on this, that, and the other. It means so much to have such an open welcome to a new town.

I don't love it here, but I really haven't got out yet.

I am anxious to move on, but I need to be patient. There are still some strings that need to be sorted.

All is well. I've had some great conversations: My dear friend Jamie (Widgen's Mom) is engauged; I talked to my nephews (5 and 11 years old); I talked to a friend who is muching dogs north of Denali N. Park.

I hope everyone is feeling the good vibe in the air.

Happy holidays.

Namaste

No comments: