06 August, 2004

THE DEATH MARCH

I just tragically lost my whole story about the last leg of my journey and haven't the energy to rewrite the entire thing.
Sorry.

The Dancer died. Just 100 miles to go. It died in Spartenburg. I friend in Greenville picked me up and let me borrow her car for a week or two - she went out of town to the Bahamas.
Charles and I are going to pick her up, the Dancer, this afternoon with a tow dolly.
So close. Pretty funny really. Lucky she died within rescue range. She actually had died the day before in Knoxville, but I had been able to get her fixed. But it wasn't enough to get her home.
I'm sorry I can't tell the story. It was so funny, and now it is gone forever. Alas!! The irony is that I lost it while I was trying to save it. I was highlighting all of the text to copy it as a backup when instead it all disappeared. I hadn't hit a thing. Vanished. I couldn't undo it; I couldn't retrieve the last page - nothing. Alas. If I had just hit the publish button it probably would have been fine. Damnit all!! That's the risk we take. It was bound to happen - just as the Dancer was bound to suffer.
Just as I'm bound to have allergies..............

No comments: