11 February, 2007

"Train. . . train. . . take me on out of this town"

I loved Wellington.  I could live there for a bit probably.  From the dock everything was at my fingertips—there were no less than three climbing walls within a third of a mile!  That was a first.  The free museum I've mentioned, but the food—never before have I seen such myriad Indian and Chinese joints.  There was nearly nowhere else to eat.

 

In the end I finished the boatwork which was assigned to me.  Since it was largely cleaning, I did it repeatedly so that it would remain clean until the owner returned.  There is a train that runs from Wellington to Auckland and though no one had taken it, all agreed that it was "supposedly" excellent, traveling through areas of NZ that roads didn't.  Being a twelve hour trip, it would be more cozy than a bus, or a hitch.  Sounded good to me.

A buddy, the ship's accountant, let me use his cell to make the call.  I was disappointed to hear that the fare would be $100, more than the $40 I was expecting.  But the accountant overhead, asked what the price was, and declared that Andiamo would cover the cost, only fair, he said.  With that, I booked my ticket, very pleased.  I thought I must have done good work on the boat to deserve such a fine bonus.

 

Around midnight, just after passing through an intersection on the way to were I would stay that night, we heard a screeching noise and looked back to see a car sliding through the red light.  If we had been about eight seconds slower we would have been t-boned.

 

In the morning I made the train and snoozed for the first few hours.  It would be a long ride and the area north of Wellington is my least favorite bit of NZ.  Eventually I went to the rear where there are some couch-seats and a rear window.  It is sort-of a lounge area for whomever cares to use it.  As it happened, no one ever showed up to kick me out.  Myself and a car racer and a few other folks talked for hours back there.  We crossed 352 bridges, or viaducts as they were called by the conductor.  Some were rather magnificent and the trip was very nice indeed.  Very relaxing.

 

Once in Auckland I found my way to Westhaven Marina where Michie and Toby have been keeping their boat Ahodori.  With a little help I found them and ate a fine steak and drank some wine and rum.  (Michie's cooking is not to be easily forgotten.)  Catching up was a great time; I haven't seen them since Tonga, maybe late October.  Seems like ages ago.

The next morning, Saturday, we hopped in their van and drove up to Whangerei to visit some other friends and see if they could acquire a cheaper berth there. After some prolonged coffee drinking I left them for the hitch up to Opua and home.  I managed it in two rides, with one long detour, a pretty one at that.

 

I was incredibly lucky to find my dinghy still floating (barely) still with the air pump inside.  (I was foolish to leave the pump in the dinghy where it could easily have been stolen when I could have locked it in the car.)  Neglegence.  I was fortunate.  Always plan as if you are leaving forever.  I thought I would be gone five days, and only now, after 2+ weeks, am I returning, in which time there have been monsoon-like rains and flooding.  (That should be a personal record for clauses in one sentence.)

 

The boat was dry and as I left it.  I cooked a big pasta dinner and went to sleep.

 

 

 

No comments: