22 April, 2007

risks of getting involved

Amazing. 

The variety of responses to my request for help with Dhundup.  I received everything from rapt praise to red flags, surprise that I should raise money in such a fashion, and vague comparisons to outright scams.

I don’t know what to think.  I am a believer; I trust in people, which makes me gullible and liable to being taken advantage of.  I am subjecting all of my friends to my own vulnerabilities in this affair.

I am not in Nepal.  I haven’t seen Dhundup in years.  Anything is possible.  It could be a scam.  But I know my friend.  I remember him well and I personally can’t fathom it.  It is not in his character, in his life.  He could be pressured by others, perhaps.  I don’t know.

But the cost of not helping could be higher.  What if we can do something, we westerners with so much fluff and comfort.  We have doctors and clinics for each sort of discomfort, companies spend billion on the latest pills; we pay thousands for insurance.

What has he got?  A little Ayuvedic clinic (which can be more interested in prevention than cures).

 

Is money so precious to us that we are too afraid to risk it for the sake of another’s health and wholeness?

Red flags?  Sure, hell ya.  I don’t have a clue how I’m going to get money from here to there safely, get it somewhere trustworthy.  There aren’t any easy solutions.  I am leaving in two days to sail 1200 miles north to Fiji.  What can I do there?  I don’t even have internet on my boat.  I have no phone.  The logistics are not favorable.

 

But haven’t we dealt with worse?  With a little thought and cunning we shall persevere.  And not without risk.

And if we shall fail, we may never know.  Ha.  At least there is a comic silver lining.

 

 

Thank you for all responses.  This is by far the most controversial thing I can remember putting out.  Any response is preferable to the absence of one, leaving me nothing to learn by.

I mean well, but that isn’t necessarily enough to do the right thing.  I must be aware.

 

 

 

No comments: