30 August, 2007

CHANGE


 

Papua New Guinea – Guam – Port Townsend.

 

Don't ask, don't ask.  I know. . . I know.  Everything just gets clearer once you start sailing.  I was so sure of my last plan, the one that had me sailing to South Carolina .  The real problem was then being in South Carolina with my boat when I wanted to be in Port Townsend or Bellingham.  To get Araby there would take a lot more time and lots more money (an engine to get through the Canal,and the Canal fees themselves$$$$$).

Time never comes back.  I have a goal.  I want to get started.

 

However, there also was an impetus.   When I was approaching Torres Strait, I had this strange churning of the stomach, the sort of feeling that, as a sailor, one must try to be attuned with.  It was an eery feeling.   At the same time I had a recurring dream of sailing into Port Townsend.  It took me a cou\ple of days to piece it together, but eventually it all becamse clear.   I turned around, backtracked three hundred miles of the coral sea and turned north into the Solomon Sea, making for New Guinea.  From New Ireland (NG) I would sail for Guam, then from there direct to Port Townsend. 

This is a dangerous route.  I am cutting the fringe of the typhoon region as a dangerous time.  Really, I am sailing across the areas where they generate, therefore rarely reach their maximum force.   Also I am not stopping.  I will move through the dangerous southern waters quickly.  Guam has good typhhon holes in case I get stuck there.   I concerned, but only as a means of responsibility.

 

I am rushed.

I have been at sea for 18 days, great sailing much of the way.   I am only taking today in New Ireland if I can get out and the weather looks fair.  It will be a two to four week trip to Guam to resupply.  (duldroms.) 

 

All for now.  Wish me luck and see you soon.

And, as always, I have a backup plan which is rather interesting . . .


--
Jonah Manning
S/V Araby


Online Journal -www.freejonah.blogspot.com
Email - bellyofthewhale.gmail.com

128 Holliday Rd
Columbia, South Carolina, USA

Emergency contact:  
Dibble Manning
phone:  001 - 803 - 787 - 4352  
email:cmann1960@aol.com>
also check addresss in "to" column

No comments: