02 August, 2007

Tanna and thoughts

To Tanna

 

The trip from Saweni Bay, Fiji to Tana, Vanuatu was a great change.  The winds were light and the days clear and sparkling.  Had to drop all sail only once for a few hours due to calms.

The conditions were a bit odd.  Every day or so the wind direction would shift, some sort of front must have been moving through.  It brought a bunch of rain on the last day, and headwinds.

 

This was no the sort of trip that is a relief to end.  It was only six days.  I was having lots of thoughts, crazy ideas, things that now with a more sober mind I'll have to think on with more reason.  It is amazing how a passage can open you to new ways of looking at your life, all that tine alone to do nothing at all but think about who you are and what the hell you are making of your chances.

I have dreams I'm not moving towards, things that matter that are stalled.  I want to gain momentum.  The things I think of when underway have a strange precision, but as soon as that anchor drops I lose the initiative.  Or I think that the former was just nonsense to start.

How do I move forward?  Carry on.

 

 

 

I thought I would start sailing hard for the east coast of the States, via the Cape of Good Hope.  It is a long route from here, one that should be undertaken soon, and will push me toward madness, Donald Crowhurst mad. 

But if I do it I will have accomplished something, a goal—something I don't feel myself doing at the moment.  I am treading water.  But Am I really?  Why do I feel that way?  This was the plan all along.

Yea, but the plan has morphed since then.  I know I need to sell the boat, sail first, sell after.

I want to sail it all the way around, but I don't want to take so long to do it.  Where is a middle ground?  Philippines this year. . .

 

TO BE CONTINUED. . .

No comments: