17 February, 2010

South African Rock

Beautiful, Tennessee-style sandstone (or Quartzite). I found it on a
run around the coast near this beautiful old lighthouse on a high
bluff. There was a coastal trail that headed under some crags and I
looked up to see how beautifully overhung and juggy they were, and
some good cracks and chimneys.
And as I had just run down the trail from the top of the bluffs, I
knew I should be able to set up topropes. What I needed was a belay.
But I didn't even have to hound John. He was was keen. So we set out
yesterday afternoon. The anchors were huge boulders on the top of the
bluff. The routes weren't long, but they were fun. There was a roof
I had to pull over using a finger lock that is a priceless memory now.
Oh it was perfect. I am so so happy to have been on good rock again,
and to find moves just within my ability. Great fun. I am floating
on air.
That and there is a good looking weather window coming this way. Soon.

No comments: