20 July, 2005

port townsend

I am overdue.
I know, and this is not the time.
I am back. I made it, by god, by the skin of my sails. What a time.

Soon I will be back in SC for a week with family and food. I am STOKED .........
about the food.


-----------
DON'T READ ANY FARTHER IF YOU HAVEN'T READ THE NEW HARRY POTTER AND WISH TO.



I read the new Harry Potter and it knocked me out.
I can never remember being so "affected" by a book. It was a good book, maybe great. Not the best HP, but up there. But something unimaginable happened......I could never have guessed it.....someone died and I wasn't ready.
Somehow, this death has really hurt me deeply, more so than actual people I know that have died. This troubles me a bit, but I think I understand why.
These stories are the fundation of my life.
MY RELIGION IS MYTHOLOGY. I now understand this. These stories: Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, Dune, and Harry Potter - these are my scriptures, these dictate to me Truth.
Something so powerful happened in this book that I have been all but incapacitated for nearly two days.
I had to go for a long run and try to wear myself out. It half worked.
Then I went back and reread the ending because I could not stop thinking of it.
Rowling, the author, did something incredible with a character, something I've never noticed any author do before.
As a reader, you always knew, I think that Iago was evil. Iago, being the great evil character. But Rowling created a character, that by every aspect you knew him to be evil; he was evil through and through, BUT - they greatest wizard believed in him, said he was a good guy.
Rowling took what seemed obiously to be a bad guy, made him a goodguy, and created an amazing tention: Which one is he really? Is he good or bad.
This book reveals EXPLOSIVELY where he truly is.
It was crushing, tragic, painful--not at all what I have come to expect from these books, always so fun and happy.
But they are Truth to me, remember.

Anyway, I was hit hard in a way a book has never ever hit me before.
This book did not make me happy, but the story is not over. This was the "Empire Strikes Back" episode, or the "Two Towers"--the Inferno.

No comments: