25 April, 2008

Jiveen Lal

 

Hey man, thanks for introducing me to Blogger. We were staying in a guest house in Kathmandu, Nepal. . . what?? 2002, I think. You changed my life. My blog is my creative outlet. For years I thought of it in black/white: a simple tool to communicate with family and friends, a way for me to share my writing with them.
Now though I see it as something much more. I always figured one day I'd find something that inspired me to write a book about it. (Maybe I will.) But now I see a book as being something much more two-dimentional. It tells a good story, it is mostly linear. A website however is dynamic, is multifacited, it is wooven into the internet with strings of ideas and images. I can write about a pod of whales I saw, then you can click on a link and see photos of those whales, or video, or maybe read an article describing there behavior. You can click on a map and not see a description of my port, nor a chart--but an actual satelite image of the exact location. You can see exactly where in the world I am or have been.
What book could possibly accomplish this.
I am learning to cherish this site. I hope to fill it with who I am, and what I love and hope for, what I have seen and believe it. I want to give something to those I love.

I thank M.I.--for your constant and unconditional support.
And for my friends who visit and who care. It means more to me than you know. Thank you.

I promise to do a better job. I will be more diligent. I will learn, I hope what it means to do a good job. Please offer me your advice.
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Malicious Intent said...

Ahhh young Jedi, you are learning. It feels good to put out into the cosmos your thoughts, dreams, travels and feelings. Feels even better to get feedback on it, validation, acknowledgement.

You are right about the book. What book can you write that gives you the instant gratification and control that you have on a blog?

Nice write.

JM said...

...2003 mate! seems a whiles back now (and I'm contemplating a return - of sorts. I'll let you know the blog when its up)...Anyways, no need to thank me. In retrospect your creative outlet on the blog, has been an inspiration to me. So, I extend a big thanks to yourself for providing some cool insights; as I have checked in a few times over the years and read some of your travels. Happy trails and when next able, I look forward to sharing another beer with you.