30 May, 2005

New Happenings

Last night I experienced my first "Schwanker" -
a German bar-b-q essentially.
My neighbor invited me and I had a good time, a nice fire to be sure.

But this morning, Sunday, two friends, also neighors, beckoned me to come with them to Seattle. The Folklife Festival is going on.
Free music.
Music from around the world and lots of it. All free.
How could I refuse?

And what a time indeed. Every musician in Seattle must have been there. Fiddlers and mandalin players playing in the grass,
inprompu druum circles., young kids with violins.
It was amazing. All the sound simply melded into the next. Sound everywhere.

Lots of good drumming. Some good rock-a-billy. I have never seen more washboards and wash tub basses.
We ended the night sitting near a stage smoking apple tobacco out of a hookah, listening to a big group of East Africans laughing and singing at the table next to ours. We all clapped along and laughed after every brief song.
It was what the whole day was about.
Perfect.h

No comments: