18 March, 2005

Up the mast for three days.

I installed a new track on my mast for a storm trysail. I am pretty stoked about it. Now I have about a week before a few things, the last things, I ordered to come in. Today and maybe tomorrow I am tidying up and finishing a couple small jobs then I want to head up to the San Juans for a little solo sail, if the weather permits.

It was easy last time but I am anxious to see how the sail is alone. How much time will I have to stay at the helm? What if I get into a blow?The boat steers nice enough that I can lash the tiller for short periods, on at least one point of sail she will totally steer herself. But the downwind runs are what bother me. I still need some elastic, or something rubber to use in a sheet-to-tiller system I want to use for steering. So without that system in place I may be stuck at the helm ninety percent of the time.
That would be rough - but I wouldn't be the first.

I am planning on being gone for a week or so.

No comments: